OFFSHORE AND LAKE EL SALTO BASS FISHING
Aug. 25, 2006, Job Othoniel, ifishmexico.com, Mazatlan and Lake El Salto, Sinaloa, Mexico:
Offshore of Mazatlan, Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) remain plentiful and the Mazatlan fishing boats are averaging 10 dorado per boat day fished mostly from the buoys with 9-15 pound ranges. The Ifishmexico fleet reported for 7 fishing days that reflected 15 sailfish (6 released), and 84 dorado for the week. Ifishmexico super pangas have been continuously in action on dorado for more than a month.
Inshore super pangas reported 10 roosterfish, 80 pargos, 40 red snapper, and 45 cochis for genuine inshore fishing action.
Mazatlan climate ranged from 82 degrees at night to daytime high's of 94, partly cloudy and an occasional shower. Sea Conditions were calm, with some little breezes in the mornings. The best offshore fishing area was 8-30 miles to the southwest of Marina Mazatlan for unlimited quantities of 9-15 pound dorado. Rigged lures as "petrolero" and "guacamaya" were best for the sailfish, and Dorado were pretty eager on the live bait and shrimp.
In freshwater bass fishing at Lake El Salto the average boat caught 70 to 100 bass per day. The largest bass was 10 pounds. Lake El Salto air temperatures were 83 to 99 degrees, with the water at 79 to 83 degrees. Popular bass lures used at Lake El Salto this week were:
1. Storm WildEye 4 inch Swim Shads in mullet, golden mullet, white, and white with chartreuse back.
2. Yamamoto Senkos, Yum Dingers or Bass Pro Shops 5, 6 and 7-inch Stinkos in watermelon, watermelon red flake, black with blue flake, red shad, and white and chartreuse.
3. Rat-L-Traps in 1⁄2 and 3⁄4-ounce in silver with blue back and silver with black back.
4. Eight inch Zoom or Yum Lizards and 10-inch Berkley Powerworms in black with blue tail, watermelon, watermelon red flake, and Junebug.
5. Buzzbaits in 1⁄2 and 5/8-ounce, in black, black with blue, and white.
6. Bomber Fat Free Shad and Rapala DT10, DT14 and DT16 Crankbaits in citrus shad, fire tiger, and white. Important key is an orange belly.
7. Spinnerbaits in 1⁄2 to 1-ounce, in white, white and chartreuse, chartreuse, and shad. Both silver and gold willow blades have been successful.
8. Zara Spook in chrome with black top.
(See "Mexico Fishing News" online for current fishing reports, photos, weather, and water temperatures from Mazatlan and other major Mexican sportfishing areas. Vacation travel articles, fishing maps and seasonal calendars, and fishing related information for Mazatlan may be found at Mexfish.com's main Mazatlan page.